Thursday, September 10, 2009

Please Say a Little Prayer

My grandma most likely has Congestive Heart Failure. She will be 70 this November. I know that you can live with (and both of her parents got it but not until they were in their 80's) but her lifestyle is terrible. She's a smoker (in hiding so she doesn't do it as much thank goodness), and the way she eats honestly makes me grossed out.

She's always struggled with weight. And she is overweight...actually her BMI would be considered obese although she puts herself together nicely so you don't look at her like that.

But thankfully my grandparents go to Mayo clinic for everything. They just happened to be up there for her physical which she almost put off until after their cruise because she had to miss her original one due to my aunt moving back to the states.

They were going on a 10 day Mediterranean cruise in like 2 weeks!!!!

Her heart rate was at about 170 so they admitted her and quickly realized what was going on with her. She had about 15 lbs of water that she couldn't get rid of and had this hellacious cough that most doctors would've thought was a cold. But really it was the fluid in her lungs that she couldn't get rid of.

Of course her heart is enlarged and not able to work like it should with her weight but the top part is working overtime while the bottom isn't getting what it needs.

So first goal is to get the fluid gone.

Second goal will be blood thinner of course...which they are going to put her on Cumadin sp? a lady I work with has been having heart issues and was put on that and her diet is something strict.

She'll always be on cumadin now. I just can't see her changing her lifestyle. But you know I never see her drink water. It's always coffee with crap in it, or diet coke after another. No more shit really.

The doctor said they were so lucky they came in because she would've most likely suffered a stroke on that ship out at sea and I would've lost her I know it.

You see she's not just a grandmother to me she's like my mother. Both of my grandparents are actually....well like my parents. They were there for a lot of the years when my parents were selfish. Yes I lived with my mother but every chance I had I was gone with them. We did have a falling out for awhile because they coddled my father even when he was nasty to me and I couldn't take it anymore.

But one day I thought you know I'll make small talk with him if that means I get my entire family back. And I know my grandparents are sad for not sticking up for the child more. They tell me all of the time how proud they are and how much they love me. I'm so very glad that Mr. B and I took that trip to NYC with just my grandparents last year. That is truly something I'll never forget.

And it wasn't about them visiting us and us doing something together we all flew and met up and took a real vacation. Something that their kids can't even say.

They are still planning on coming for Thanksgiving/Birthday I'll just have to make a few dishes that are healthier for her.

I started to think about my children never getting to meet their Great Grandparents and that's what really broke my heart. I couldn't bare that. I mean they should at least live long enough that our first born is around 10 when they pass. If not older. I would love for them to meet all of my children.

ahhh I don't know...I think last night I tried not to think about it, but today the more I think about it the more of a mess I'm becoming.

It's so scary....and this is exactly why people need to take care of themselves. Things will happen and things are hereditary but you have to make choices.

I just can't lose her or them this early. I know the older you get the more people start to pass but they are the backbone of our family....

Anyways enough of the sappy stuff.
I worked out last night again! I'm really proud of myself. I wish I would've gone to the gym on Monday but I was so tired from the weekend that when we made it home I took a long nap and then Tuesday I made Gumbo...which we had again last night and will finish off tonight haha.

I busted my ass....the elliptical kept telling me to slow down in order to get an accurate heart rate haha.

I think I did like 2.65 miles and burned over 300 calories which is pretty darn good if you ask me.

Someone told me that you have to burn 1000 calories in order to lose a pound and since I'm going the gym tonight and tomorrow I'll make sure that I burn 1000 in the week which will equal 1 pound haha.

If this is the case it'll be a couple of months before I even reach my 1st and 2nd goal oy vey. I'm sure though I'll start to burn calories while sitting once I get with it more.

And eventually I'll try and add in a 4th day. But I'm proud of myself for sticking with it and can't weight (hah) for things to start feeling loose again.

I can't believe we're actually into football season now. I have to go find me a chair since we officially belong to a tailgate now. And Uncle Kevin and Auntie Jen maybe staying on Friday so that means tonight I'll have to sweep the house. We've been so busy and gone that my house is accumulating crap everywhere and I can't even stand it! haha

No comments:

Post a Comment