Thursday, September 29, 2011

Ava's Weekly Update- 46 Weeks

If you're breastfeeding and wondering when you should wean baby, know there's no "perfect" time. The American Academy of Pediatrics recommends breastfeeding for at least a year -- and continuing as long as you and baby both want. Of course, we know that some moms choose to wean earlier. If you're considering it, talk to your doctor before you introduce cow's milk into baby's diet. Many say to wait at least until her first birthday

Let me say this has been a long long road and sometimes a struggle (especially as of late) but I'm glad that my body and baby allowed us to be able to breastfeed this long. When I first started my mini goal was 3 months but I really wanted to make it to 6 months...then my New Year's Resolution was 9 months, and at that point I said why not go for 12? But as Ava's teeth came in (specifically once she got the top and had her bottom's) that was something that I had/have to struggle with and sometimes it hurts but it's not THAT bad. When I got pregnant with lil one my milk supply depleted so flipping fast! Normally I could pump twice a day (sometimes had to pump a tad at night) and get her the 13oz she liked (with breast milk you don't need as much) but then it dropped to 8, 7, and now about 5-6. So we have to supplement but I figured at least we made it all the way and now that we've introduced solids I'm ok with it. I have to say feeling so sick lately I am looking forward to a year when I will stop pumping at work. I'll continue to feed at home but we'll introduce cow's milk as well.

Books are very good for baby, so experiment with different ones. Bright colors, interactive features, and durability (baby likes to pull, grab, and bite) are all qualities to look for when shopping or borrowing. It's okay to allow baby to explore around the house without you hovering; just check in and call his name every few minutes to make sure he's not getting into trouble. This way, he'll feel secure and independent.

We learned very quickly to save the nice books for bedtime and let her have the hard ones haha...we have different shapes and sizes and she truly does enjoy them which is great! Lately she doesn't want to explore...she wants to be with me.all.the.stinking.time! But when she does want to explore it consists of: pulling out a drawer in an old hutch thingy, checking out the roomba, checking out the dog food, or checking out our scale and tub in our bathroom...le sigh

Make sure that whole milk dairy products (yogurt and cheeses) are part of baby's diet until he's two years old.

ummm thanks for that tip???

No comments:

Post a Comment